A cannabis smoking apparatus that is tiny and portable. Pipes are widely accessible in most dispensaries and smoke shops. Cannabis flower is packed into the bowl, which is the bowl-shaped container that houses the marijuana, as the name indicates. When smoking cannabis using a pipe, it is critical to cover the carb, or hole located on the side of the bowl where the flower is packed.
For her husband’s birthday, she purchased him a glass pipe. He had a bong and rolling papers, but he discovered that smoking with his pipe was the simplest and fastest method.
The Pipes’ History
Pipes date back at least 4,000 years, with evidence found in ancient Egypt. Pipes and tobacco leaves have been discovered in Egyptian sarcophagi dating back to 2000 BC. Native Americans have also utilized ceremonial pipes throughout history, including in prayer rituals (the smoke created by the pipe was supposed to transmit petitions to spirits), during conflict (symbolic “peace pipes” were offered as a show of good will), and during social events.
Tobacco pipes have also been used to smoke cannabis throughout history. In India and the Middle East, holy men known as Sadhus utilized “dry pipes” as an alternate smoking method to the more popular hookah.
Pipes are becoming one of the most popular smoking devices for cannabis flower due to its broad availability, simplicity of usage, cheap pricing, and range of varieties, colors, and designs. Even though pipes are frequently used and marketed, they have not been without legal difficulties.
In 2003, the US Department of Justice launched Operation Pipe Dreams, a sting operation that prosecuted hundreds of glassblowers around the nation, most notably pop culture star and cannabis advocate Tommy Chong, with “distribution of illicit drug paraphernalia.”
The subsequent punishments, including Chong’s 9-month prison term, and surrounding controversy encouraged the next generation of glassblowers and spurred a revival of American pipe production that is still going on today.
There are many different sorts of pipes, such as hand pipes, one-hitters, steamrollers, vape pipes and even constructed pipes inspired by literature and movies.
Hand pipes, sometimes known as “spoons,” are the most used style of pipe for smoking cannabis. Hand pipes are made up of a bowl in which you pack the flower and a stem from which you inhale the smoke. They fit in the palm of your hand. A hole at the bottom of the bowl enables smoke to pass through the stem, and a bigger hole on the side, known as a carb, allows smokers to control air flow.
Hand pipes are often constructed of glass, although metal and wood versions are also available.
One-hitters, also known as chillums, are little pipes that are generally 2–4 inches (5–10 cm) long and formed like a tube with a mouthpiece on one end and a small aperture for cannabis flower on the other.
Because the quantity of cannabis they can carry is minimal — the equivalent of one hit — these pipes are known as one-hitters.
Steamrollers combine the best qualities of both hand pipes and one-hitters. They’re normally cylindrical in design, like a one-hitter, but they take key elements from a hand pipe, such as a carb and a bigger bowl. The key distinction between a steamroller and a handpipe is the open region in front of the steamroller, which allows for more airflow.
Pop culture icons have also inspired their own categories of pipes, such as the Sherlock pipe (popularized by fictional detective Sherlock Holmes and distinguished by its long, curved shape) and the Gandalf pipe (originally known as a churchwarden pipe and associated with wizard Gandalf from the “Lord of the Rings” series, this pipe is like the Sherlock but significantly longer).
What is the best way to utilize a pipe?
One of the most basic and easiest methods of smoking cannabis is using a pipe. To begin smoking a pipe:
- Break up a little quantity of cannabis flower using your hands or a grinder.
- Fill the pipe’s bowl halfway with cannabis. The goal is not to overfill the bowl. Tightly packing the cannabis will block ventilation, making it more difficult to smoke.
- Hold the pipe in your palm and put your finger or thumb over the carb, which will be on the side of the end of the pipe depending on the style of pipe you’re using. There is no carb to cover if you use a one-hitter.
- Inhale while maintaining your finger on the carb and lighting your lighter near to the surface of the bowl. The flame will be drawn to the bowl, the cannabis will be ignited, and the smoke will be inhaled via the stem.
- Lift the flame away from the bowl once your bloom begins to combust and cherry. By covering and exposing the carb with a tapping motion while inhaling, you may maintain the cherry burning.
- Exhale and repeat until all the cannabis in the bowl has been smoked.
What is the best way to clean a glass pipe?
Pipes may accumulate residue over time, resulting in blockage and diminished smoke quality. To have the best smoking experience, cannabis smokers should clean their bowls on a frequent basis.
To clean a pipe:
- Place the pipe in a plastic bag that can be sealed.
- Fill the bag halfway with isopropyl (rubbing) alcohol to completely immerse the pipe.
- Add a teaspoon of salt to taste. It is possible to use either table salt (sodium chloride) or Epsom salt (magnesium sulfate).
- Allow the pipe to soak for up to 12 hours in the container or bag. This allows the alcohol to breakdown the resin.
- After the pipe has had time to soak, shake the bag briskly to remove any resin that has accumulated in hard-to-reach areas of the pipe.
- Take the pipe out of the bag and thoroughly wash it with dish soap and water.
- Allow the pipe to dry.
- how to clear a clogged pipe
- If you don’t have a baggie, you may clean your pipe in a tiny sealable container instead. To prevent shattering your pipe, skip the “vigorously shaking” step.
Commonly Asked Questions
How do you smoke a pipe when you don’t have a carb?
The mechanics of smoking cannabis from a pipe without a carb aren’t all that different from smoking weed from a pipe with a carb. To clear the smoke through the stem of a carbless pipe, just draw a little harder. Smokers who use a pipe without a carb should also anticipate to lose smoke that evaporates from the bowl rather than through the pipe as the cherry burns.
Because you have less control over the airflow of the pipe, it may be beneficial to begin with smaller hits from the pipe until you gain a better feel for the pipe as well as your own lung capacity.
What is the average price of a cannabis pipe?
A normal glass pipe will usually cost between $20 and $35, with more ornate or personalized ones costing between $100 and hundreds of dollars or more.
What is the difference between a piece, a bowl, and a pipe?
A “piece” is an umbrella word for a pipe or other handcrafted smoking equipment. A bowl is the aperture in a pipe where flowers are filled, while the word “bowl” is frequently used interchangeably with “pipe” to denote the whole piece.
What is the difference between a pipe, a bubbler, and a bong?
A pipe is a simple, dry smoking device consisting of a bowl and a neck, but a bong is a water pipe with a bowl that connects to a downstem that filters the smoke via water before it reaches the user. A bubbler is a portable water pipe with a fixed bowl and water chamber.